well that was fun

2:36 AM

Hello internet! It's been what, 18 months?


I just returned from the greatest experience of my life and I don't really know what to say.. How on earth do you sum up something that has literally changed your life forever? I don't know but I'll give it a try.

First off here's an intro to what a missionary does.


I grew up in the church with a big supportive family. For me living my faith was like breathing. I couldn't see any other way of life that felt right or that would bring me as much happiness. That's why I decided to serve a mission in the first place; to bring that happiness to others. 

When I landed in England and put on the shiny, black badge I could feel the weight of my calling - the responsibility and privilege I now had, to honour Jesus Christ's name. It was scary/daunting/exciting! But now all of a sudden my support network was gone and it was just me and my beliefs; me and God. I was confronted every day by people who questioned and often belittled my beliefs. For once I really had to stand on my own two feet and see if my faith was strong enough to endure some serious opposition. In the process I built this relationship of trust between me and Heavenly Father. I learned that working and losing yourself in the service of others when you would much rather be curled up on the couch, out of the rain, gives you a unique insight into God's character. I came to realise through countless miracles that God is keenly aware of us. He is in the details of our lives. I got to experience being guided to people at the right place at the right time, and having incredible conversations where we would be on a busy street but completely oblivious to the noise (I call it 'spirit bubble'). You would see their eyes light up and you both knew that it wasn't a coincidence that you had met. That God had something (or everything) to do with it. This happened to me at least once a day. It's the most incredible feeling to know you're able to help God do His work. I think that's what got me through the damp, bone-chilling cold, the rejection, the long, sometimes lonely days. I felt in my own small way like Christ's first apostles, like a true disciple of Christ. It was necessary to go through the refiner's fire a little bit. But I grew a heck of a lot and witnessed so many lives change because of it. So no regrets, only gratitude :)

So basically I know God and Jesus Christ better, I know myself better and I have a greater understanding of what life is all about and what I can do with mine. I will always be grateful for that. 

A bit of my heart will always be in the England. Thank heaven for the internet or I'd be seriously homesick. A scripture from the Book of Mormon pretty much sums up my feelings:
"And now it came to pass that all this was done in [England]... how beautiful [is it] to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever." (Mosiah 18:30) 
I feel like one of our Prophet's Gordon B. Hinckley who served a mission in England, when he said,
"I love the English people. No one can sell the English short in my mind because I labored with them, I lived with them, I was in their homes at their firesides, I learned to know their hearts, and I learned to love them." (x
I'm starting my 'return to the motherland' fund. But it's good to be back! I've missed Australia and these guys.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts