'MERCA

3:44 AM


If you'd asked me a month ago what my top 10 dream travel destinations were, America probably wouldn't have made the cut. But before you call me an unworthy, ungrateful sod let me tell you how much I loved and needed this holiday. The answer is: a lot. Here are some reasons the US of A now has a place in this skeptic's heart.

1. It's darn pretty. If you're a lover of the great outdoors as I am, then take a roadtrip across the States. From LA's Griffith Observatory to Utah's snow-capped mountains, there's a reason why they call it America the beautiful. Even the deserts are beautiful - in a vast, barren, cowboy-land kind of way. And that's just the west coast. If I lived in Utah, I'd definitely be taking advantage of the endless hiking and camping opportunities.

2. Food. Okay so this is also one of the reasons I hate America, but I had to embrace the supersized, processed deliciousness. It's all part of the experience. I'm absolutely sure I gained several kilos with all the food I consumed. Some highlights were Einstein Brothers Bagels (I need more schmear in my life), Cafe Rio Pork Burritos, In-N-Out Burger, Straws (where you can order any soda or milkshake cocktail experiment you like) and of course, the DONUTS.

3. Church History & General Conference. As a member of the LDS church, Salt Lake City is our equivalent of Mecca. Since I was little I dreamed of going to Salt Lake and seeing temple square and general conference. Even if you're not a Mormon though, it's definitely worth a look for the beautiful architecture and history. We visited historical monuments, walked along mountain trails that faithful pioneers pulled handcarts over in harsh conditions, and visited a bleak grave site in a deserted town called Iosepa (Joseph) where Hawaiian Mormons settled after leaving their island paradise to emigrate to Zion. It was humbling to be in places where so many sacrifices were made out of faith and a desire to practice religion freely.

I was also lucky enough to attend three sessions of general conference (a semi-annual worldwide conference where church leaders including prophets and apostles address us on relevant topics). The talks and music were amazing and it was great to be surrounded by people from all over the world who share the same beliefs.

4. The people. I met and reunited with some incredible people and it's this more than anything that has forever tied my heart to America. We hung out with my mum's sister's family we haven't seen since I was three and heard stories about my mum's parents (who passed away when I was young) from a hilarious Maori lady my mum calls Aunty even though we aren't related. We stayed with beautiful families - old friends and new ones. Dad caught up with old companions from his mission in the 80s. I hung out with friends from my mission and it was like no time had passed. We saw a missionary who had served in Melbourne when I was 9 and now has 4 gorgeous kids. Although the sightseeing, shopping, and food were great, these wonderful people were by far the highlight of my trip.

And now for some pictures care of my mother (I managed to lose my phone in SLC *facepalm*)!



A bogan walking around the LA Temple

Four wheeling

Snow!

Salt Lake Temple

Conference

St George Temple Visitors Centre with the Ipsons (there are a lot of temples in Utah)

Someone told the gardener on temple square that tulips are my favourite

Bonneville Salt Flats (as in 'The World's Fastest Indian') - mum licked it

All shopped out

Cuzzies



Motab live at conference 

Mission reunion

Hiking 'The Y' in Provo with an old mission friend

Pizza with my sistas

My mums

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts